Friday, March 27, 2009

another early set



This set is actually the result of my sister's wish to have a bachelorette party that wasn't cliché (as in nasty male strippers). So, as matron of honor (even though I was in the middle of a divorce), it was my duty to come up with something suitable for my baby sister's "last single night." We have both always loved doing crafty things -- she is an amazing seamstress, something I never got into. I thought about doing paint-your-own pottery, but then heard about a new beading place nearby. I called up the ladies at Bazaar Star Beadery, in Ridgewood, NJ to find out about having a bachelorette party there. I was so psyched when they said we could have the back room all to ourselves and bring wine and food. It was perfect! I had a really hard time deciding on a color scheme (as always). I was trying to stay away from blues because that is what I'm always attracted to, whether it be clothing, jewelry, anything. It is no coincidence that my favorite color is the robin's egg blue of Tiffany & Company. After circling the store for what seemed like eons (and it also seemed like everyone else in our party was close to being done with their pieces!) I settled on the main beads -- Peruvian opal, I believe it is, which is also appropriate for me since my birthstone is opal. It is my favorite shade of light turquoise that reminds me of the calming ocean. I had enough beads on my main strand that I made a necklace, bracelet, and earrings! The bracelet is my favorite because of the extra touch I added on the extension chain -- a tiny silver star charm...just a little something unexpected. All of the pieces are pretty simple, but I still love them. Everyone else had a fabulous time beading, and it was amazing to see the different color combinations and beads that everyone used. Now I need to get myself in gear again so I can open my Etsy shop. Tomorrow will be spent beading as much as possible after all the house cleaning is done!

No comments:

Diamonds to Dolphins...Carats to Cats...