Wednesday, March 18, 2009

taking teddy for a walk




Whenever I take Teddy for a walk, I get strange looks, and sometimes, even stranger comments. Is that a dog? What do you think? Does he look like any dog you've ever seen? Is he barking? No, he's on a harness and leash, but don't let that fool you. He still does whatever the hell he wants, just like every other cat in creation. He's actually pretty good about not tugging on the leash too much, except once in awhile when a particular patch of grass intrigues him, or a bird darts for cover into a bush. I cannot do this with my other cats. I want to try to train Lucy to walk on a leash because trust me, my little chub-muffin needs the exercise. That will have to wait a few weeks until it is truly spring AND my life calms down a little. (Will that ever happen)? Teddy used to be an indoor/outdoor cat. However, his other half, my beloved Polka Dot, got snatched by a coyote, and hence, Teddy became an indoor cat. I'm not taking any chances again! Teddy, on the other paw, wanted to take many more chances. He yowled at the door every chance he got.  "I want to go OUUUUUUUT," he screamed. I couldn't take it any longer. He had been allowed to go outside for the first few years of his life, and now was cooped up inside. I didn't want to chance losing him to some hungry, wild animal, but I wanted him to have the opportunity to get some fresh air. So, I came up with the harness idea. I don't even remember there being a real "training" process, although I do know how to go about doing that with a variety of animals. He just seemed to put up with it from the beginning, as if he knew that having his mom accompany him on his expeditions and being slightly tied up was the closest he would come to true freedom. He has been okay with the compromise ever since, but no matter how long we're outside, he never wants to come in and always puts up a fight. While we're outside though, he walks, sometimes runs, right alongside me, like he's not even on a leash. He's my best buddy, and I just want him to be happy. So what's next? Training him to "go" on the toilet. Enough of cleaning five litter boxes!

No comments:

Diamonds to Dolphins...Carats to Cats...