Saturday, December 1, 2007

an unexpected sighting


I am not even really sure what the main purpose of this blog is...maybe free therapy for me? Maybe someone out there will actually read this and be interested in one of the same things as me and get something out of my writings and ramblings? Who knows. All I know is, as if it isn't cool enough that I get to work with raptors in my free time, today I spotted a red-tailed hawk on my way home from the nature center. I followed him with my car. I rarely see them in the wild even though they're pretty common. When I first saw him/her, it was out of the corner of my eye. He flew alongside my car for a moment, then put his "brakes" on and landed in a tree, tucked his wings into his sides, brought his gorgeous red tail under him and settled onto a branch. I got out of my car to stand and look at him. After awhile, he left the large, bare tree he had been perched upon and flew upwards. He caught a burst of wind, circled around me three times, made a little scream, and flew/soared down the street. I could barely contain my excitement. It was just a perfect moment.


image information: license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/
Title: Red-Tailed Hawk
Taken by: Jessica Merz
Username: jessicafm

No comments:

Diamonds to Dolphins...Carats to Cats...